New Year’s resolutions are made in hopes of self-improvement, and the ultimate goal is to continue and carry your resolutions through the year and by the end, you will see growth and progress. The beginning of any year is an encouraging time to do this because many feel the slate can be wiped clean and we can start from scratch.
Resolutions often revolve around our health. Popular ones include trying to eat healthier, trying to lose weight, or even trying to manage stress better…but how many people include oral health on their New Year’s resolutions? Maintaining good oral hygiene can be just as important to your overall health as maintaining a healthy weight!
For example, do you have a difficult time remembering to floss everyday? Can you imagine how significantly your oral health would be improved if you didn’t skip a single day of flossing for an entire year? Resolutions, if you can commit to them, can improve your life, your health, and your smile! The following is a list of dental resolutions that you we promise will give you a healthier and happier smile in 2016.
If you ever need encouragement for following through on your oral hygiene, remember the following resolutions:
- I will brush for approximately two minutes at least twice a day.
- I will floss at least once a day, preferably before going to bed.
- I will not skip my six month cleaning with my dentist.
- I will avoid sugary foods and drinks that contribute to tooth decay.
- I will rinse my mouth after every meal with water or mouthwash.
- I will replace my toothbrush when the bristles wear down or every two months.
- I will not chew ice or use my teeth to open packages or bottles.
- I will wear a mouth guard every time I play an athletic sport that could result in damage to my teeth.
- I will eat a healthy and balanced diet, and make sure I am getting enough calcium as well for stronger teeth.
If you are having trouble with any of these dental resolutions, talk to your dentist. Dentists have great advice for at-home dental care, and can also lend you some words of encouragement.
At Kildaire Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we resolve to take care of the dental health of your whole family. Contact us to make an appointment to come see us for the healthiest and happiest 2016!